The Independence Day of Singapore also known as the National Day is a public holiday and is celebrated on the 9th of August every year.
Independence Day Celebrations
The National Day of Singapore is a grand affair.
- The National Rally is held where the Prime Minister of Singapore addresses the public on the 2nd/3rd Sunday after the National Day with a televised speech including the key challenges and future prospects. The MPs of the Opposition are also invited to the rally.
- The National Day Parade showcasing the military and cultural wealth of Singapore is held at the Float at Marina Bay.
- There is a fireworks display by several local and foreign teams.
Singapore Independence Day
- The National Parade for this momentous event of the 50th year will take place at the historical site of Padang where originally the independence of Singapore as a sovereign state was declared.
- The Parade will foster patriotism amongst the citizens as it highlights the defence capabilities as well as the cultural heritage of Singapore.
- There will be a lot of colour all around and also mass engagement of the public in different activities.
- There will be some magnificent performances of song, dance and a fireworks display.
- The third and the current Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong, will as per custom address the nation in the National Rally.
- Many activities are being conducted through this important year in lieu of the celebration of the Golden Jubilee.