The Independence Day of Singapore also known as the National Day is a public holiday and is celebrated on the 9th of August every year.
Independence Day Celebrations
The National Day of Singapore is a grand affair.
- The National Rally is held where the Prime Minister of Singapore addresses the public on the 2nd/3rd Sunday after the National Day with a televised speech including the key challenges and future prospects. The MPs of the Opposition are also invited to the rally.
- The National Day Parade showcasing the military and cultural wealth of Singapore is held at the Float at Marina Bay.
- There is a fireworks display by several local and foreign teams.
Singapore Independence Day 2015
The Independence Day, 2015 of Singapore is very significant as the nation is about to celebrate the Golden Jubilee at 50 years. All of Singapore is gearing up for some spectacular celebration for Singapore50 (SG50).
- The National Parade for this momentous event of the 50th year will take place at the historical site of Padang where originally the independence of Singapore as a sovereign state was declared.
- The Parade will foster patriotism amongst the citizens as it highlights the defence capabilities as well as the cultural heritage of Singapore.
- There will be a lot of colour all around and also mass engagement of the public in different activities.
- There will be some magnificent performances of song, dance and a fireworks display.
- The third and the current Prime Minister of Singapore, Lee Hsien Loong, will as per custom address the nation in the National Rally.
- Many activities are being conducted through this important year in lieu of the celebration of the Golden Jubilee.