Executive functions are performed by the President while the Prime Minister's responsibilities involve supervision of administrative functions of the ministries. The function of the Cabinet members is to act on policy matters and is accountable to the President.
The present President of South Korea is Roh Moo-hyun and the Present Prime Minister is Han Duck-soo. The current three Deputy Prime Ministers of South Korea are Kim Woo-sik, Kwon o-kyu and Kim Shin-il.
The legislative branch consists of the unicameral National Assembly, the members of which are elected for a four-year term. There are 299 members in the National Assembly of which 243 members are in single seat constituencies and 56 are elected by proportional representation. The last National Assembly elections were held 15 April, 2004.
The judiciary in South Korea is independent of the Executive and the Legislature. The judiciary is made up of the three courts- Supreme Court, appellate Court and the Constitutional Courts. The Supreme Court is the highest court in the judiciary and the justices of which are appointed by the President on the approval of the National Assembly. The Constitutional Court justices are appointed by the President partly based on the nominations by the Chief Justice and National Assembly.
Major political parties of South Korea are-
Other key ministers of South Korea are-
- Democratic Labor Party or DLP
- Democratic Party or DP
- Grand National Party or GNP
- People-First Party
- Uri Party
- Industry, commerce, and energy : Kim Young-joo
- Defense Minister : Kim Jang-soo
- Foreign affairs and trade Minister : Song Min-soon
- Labor Minister : Lee Sang-soo
- Health and welfare Minister : Rhyu Si-min
- Construction and Transportation : Lee Yong-sup
- Government administration and home affairs : Park Myung-jae
- Information and communications : Rho Jun-hyong
- Minister of Justice : Kim Sung-ho
- Planning and budget Minister : Chang Byoung-wan
- Unification Minister : Lee Jae-joung
This article provides an outline of the political system of South Korea. For more on South Korea, visit- 123independenceday.com